Saturday, March 7, 2009

Confessions of a workaholic

I love to be busy...that started in college when between school, my part time on campus job, sorority life and being in several organizations gave me no other choice. When grad school came alone I thrived on being too busy. I loved working, loved the stress of it all which according to a recent epsiode of "The Doctors" some people are addicted to the adrenline with being stressed but that is a whole different post.

Anyways, I haven't really talked about this on here but I am in the process of looking for a new job. I love what I do, I am just not in love with where I am doing it. We want to (I would argue need to) move. So as everyone knows the economy and job openings are very few and far between especially in Northeast Ohio. This week however I had just gotten this sick to my stomach feeling of...what are we going to do if I don't get a new job. Yes, staying at my current job is an option but is probably not the best option for Josh and I to have a future together. See, Josh needs to finish school and I want nothing more for that to happen, and if I need to make some sacrifices then I will. My fear is that we will move into my Mom's house (which she is so ok with) and I will be working as a waitress with a Master's degree, whole heartedly knowing this is not the end of the world. I'm just scared... I have known this was coming and keep applying to jobs with no response. Plus I think I am more scared of having nothing to do...(gasp!)


In dealing with this (among many) of my quarter-life crisises I bought a really great book titled "What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self". If you are in your mid 20's or have anyone if your life in that is in their mid 20's get them this book. The basis of the book is a bunch of celebrities writing letters to themselves during their past. Cookie Roberts a columnist writes to herself about the struggles of being a working mom..."You can leave the work world...and come back on your own terms"


That is a quote that I keep tucked inside my head. It will be ok if I take a break from working in a university setting...it will be OK!


and as I write this post my cell phone rings...and it all makes sense.... cause this cute little girl is on the other end of the phone telling me all about her birthday party next week and to be honest....... home never sounded so good.



Turn your clocks back!!
Jess Bay

0 comments:

Post a Comment